Monday, December 11, 2017

Resolutions

Lately, I've had lots of opportunity to talk and think about how our words and attitudes impact our students. Edutopia has a great article on positive words, but positive words are only the start. Kids are incredibly perceptive, even if they don't always fully grasp what they're perceiving. They might not be able to say, for example, "Well, Ms. So-and-so says the right things, but it always feels forced and artificial," but they can definitely feel when something isn't adding up right. If your room, your posture, your tone, and your attitude says "they can't," it doesn't matter how well your words say they can, they're going to hear what you're thinking loud and clear.

So let me be clear: they can. Every student in this county is capable. Yes, some have challenges -- but they might not be the ones you assume. If you tell me, quietly, privately, that "these kids just can't," well, that's going to be self-fulfilling. But here's the thing: if you just assume they can, they will.

When I was first assigned to teach an AP class, I didn't realize how students got into the class. I just assumed that every one of my students was highly academically motivated, highly intelligent, highly inquisitive, and highly capable. I assumed every one of them wanted not only to take but to excel on the AP exam. I was blissfully unaware that students at my school tended not to take the exam at that time (it was not yet required), and those who did tended to score mostly 1s and 2s. I just assumed they would all take it and do well, and everything I did in that class was built around that assumption and not wanting to let them down. And, come May, they all took the test. And while not all of them scored a 3 or higher, a far higher percentage did so than in other classes, where a smaller percentage took the test.

The logic is that if fewer students take the exam, only the ones with a legitimate chance to do well take it, and "pass rates" are higher.

The reality is, if the teacher sets an expectation that everyone will get a three, you can increase both the percentage taking it and the percentage passing it.

Afterwards, someone asked me how I got so many students to take the exam and I honestly didn't know. It just wasn't ever an option not to.

Now, it wouldn't have been enough if I told the kids they could do it. I had to believe. Because many of our students have had a lot of evidence presented to support the idea that they can't. So, until there is evidence that they can, someone has to believe. Not just say "You can do it," but really believe they can. If you say it to their face, but don't believe it behind their back, it just doesn't work. But if you really, truly, deeply believe in the capability of every one of your students, they will rise to meet that belief.

A colleague, right now, has 8th grade students writing five paragraph essays. They are good, well-constructed essays. I've read them. They're impressive. This colleague has told me, repeatedly, that they can do it, they just need to be taught how. Teachers at the high school these eighth graders will go to next year explain the low performance of their students by saying, "These kids can't write; they can barely read. They're not going to be able to do well on the NCFE."

So, who's right, the teacher who says they can, or the ones who say they can't?

The truth is, they both are. Because the kids are exactly as capable as we expect them to be. No more.

And no less.

What will you choose to believe about your students in the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment