Friday, December 8, 2017

Mrs. Bracey's Mock Trial Activity

Mrs. Bracey's DBMS 8th grade class is a great example of how students will rise to the level of expectation set for them. In this student-centered, project-based learning experience, students started the activity by writing essays to "audition" for their role in the mock trial, then prepared and ran their trials. What a great learning experience, but, as Mrs. Bracey reflects, there is always room for improvement. Thanks for sharing, Mrs. Bracey!

One of my goals this year was to implement more student centered learning activities, project based learning and create more engagement. I have always wanted to implement a mock trial in my class but was not very confident in past years. With this being my 3 rd year teaching I decided that I had enough experience to take on the challenge.

The assignment was for students to put the British soldiers from the Boston Massacre on trial. One side would be prosecuting the soldiers while the other side defended them. My goals were to make the learning student centered, further their understanding of the causes of the American Revolution, and to teach students how to think critically.

Caution: I tiptoed into this with my students more for my sake as I wanted to make sure I was guiding them appropriately as I figured this out along the way!

Step 1: Inform students about mock trial

I informed my classes that we would be doing a mock trial and explained what exactly a mock trial is. I went through and explained every role in a mock trial (ex: juror, prosecuting attorney, defense
attorney, witnesses, bailiff, etc.) In order to be cast in a certain role, students would have to write an essay explaining which role they would be best suited for and provide an explanation. This doubled as a way for me to easily select students for roles and to implement how to write an essay to my class. This also makes the students more at ease because if they are someone who does not like to talk they can easily just select the role of juror while the students who want a more vocal role can select the role of an attorney or witness. There’s a role for every student and their personality.

Step 2: Select a topic for the mock trial

I chose the Boston Massacre as my topic. The topic for the mock trial coincided with just finishing the American Revolution unit and working through the Constitution/Government unit. The topic is also controversial with students able to argue both sides.

Step 3: Inform students of their roles

After reading and grading the essays, students were informed of which role they would be playing and which side of the argument they would be on.

Step 4: Mock Trial Vocabulary

Students were given a list of mock trial vocabulary words to learn. In order for students to have a sense of authenticity I felt it was important for them to be familiar with common legal jargon. Some of the words included: acquittal, conviction, verdict, evidence, admissible, testimony.

Step 5: Break out into two sides

I set aside class periods for the two sides, defense and prosecution, to get together and work on their cases. I had a separate assignment on the Boston Massacre for the jury members and the bailiff to complete while the defense and prosecution had time to prepare questions, opening statements, closing statements, and testimony. This part requires a lot of teacher guidance because students had no prior knowledge or experience so I had to constantly move around answering questions and guiding them through their arguments. Students were very motivated and excited though and worked very well with those on their team. The prosecuting attorneys had to prepare their witnesses while the defense attorneys prepared their witnesses and defendant.

 

Students would break out into their two sides and would have to work together to prepare 1) strategy, 2) opening and closing statements,  and 3) questions to ask the witnesses that help prove their case. This is a time where the teacher can assist the teams, answer questions and guide them but for the most part the students are working independently of the teacher.

Step 6: Rehearse

The day before the mock trial, students spent ten minutes rehearsing the movement and procedures. The desks were already positioned as they would be for the trial with a seating chart so that students would already be familiar with where they were sitting the next day.

Step 7: Mock Trial Day

Students run the mock trial from start to finish on their own. In every class it took students time to warm up and get comfortable. If you notice students are having a difficult time getting started you can “call a recess” where students get five minutes and you go to each side to help them along. Students will get very into the trial and will surprise you by how well they can think on their feet. I did not have to do much but stand back and supervise while the mock trial was conducted. The
students were able to carry the trial on their own based on their preparation of the topic. Students were encouraged to use evidence like primary sources to make their arguments. Verdicts were reached by the jury deliberating and voting.

Reflection

This was a great first experience with a mock trial. Students that you would not assume would want speaking roles were begging to participate and worked very hard. It created so many opportunities for me to see my students think critically and formulate arguments. Looking back and reflecting I want to encourage the use of primary sources as more of a basis for their arguments next time.

The outcome that I wanted for my students was for the learning to be student centered. By the time the research and preparation was completed, students were able to conduct the mock trial on their own because they clearly knew the topic which demonstrated to me that this was a successful project to reinforce and further student learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment